Re: Mileage Enhancement mods for V6?

From: Chuck and Loreen (clrobbins@home.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 17:51:27 EDT

    I'll second that. When I read Korey's email, I thought he might've
talked
to the so-called experts at Car Talk :) Korey, Check out the following link
to see where the Feds stand on aftermarket parts and manufacturer's
warranties http://www.sema.org/fedleg/warranty/atta.html Also, the
mods you put on (if properly installed) will not cause excess wear on the
engine (I swear that Tom & Ray wrote this)
    As for performance/mileage upgrades, the new TB and cold air intake
is the best bang for the buck. I would recommend that you stay away from
the open air filters as they do not seem to work that well for our v6's.
You can rig a home-brew cool air intake for around $50-$60 using a
K&N cone filter. A perfect example is at

http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/ATTACHMENTS/
j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com/poboysintake.jpg (all one url)

The intake would be the best bang for the buck for mileage only, but if you
opt for a modified TB, you will see a bigger increase.

Chuck Robbins
'99 Sport v6 5spd 2wd RC
http://www.members.home.com/clrobbins/dakota.htm

p.s. Car Talk and Tom & Ray references explained here:
http://www.members.home.com/clrobbins/article.htm