Re: Info on turning part of my truck bed into an extended cab

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 22:30:30 EDT

Ahh you can get away with it if you bolt a steel ring around the edge of
the hole in the sheetmetal to keep the sheetmetal from flexing. To join
the cab and bed together you can use a flexible coupler like what is used
on pickup truck camper shells (tused between the shell window and truck
slider window). Cutting a huge hole would weaken the structural integrity
of the cab, but sandwiching the sheetmetal around the edges of each hole
between two 1/8" metal plates about a 1/2" wide would do the trick to
retain the skin's structural strength. I'm pulling this out of my a$$,
just so you know, but think about it, makes sense. Any civil engineers on
the list? If your making this hole pretty big, forget it, but if it's a
foot in diameter or so, yeah it'll work without any abnormal metal
flexing. Use lots of bolts, like every two to three inches or so around
the ring.

I dunno, it sure sounds good though :) Just keep in mind the front and
rear window are part of the structural support of the truck
body. Compromising the metal strength near the rear window could cause a
nice glass shower if in a wreck.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net