Re: Info on turning part of my truck bed into an extended cab

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 18:37:22 EDT

At 08:10 AM 4/5/2000 , you wrote:
>Not bolts, dowel pins! Bolts are for clamping, dowels for location ;)
>Degreed mechanical engineer also.
>--
>Mac

Well, no and yes. Last first - Yes, bolts are for clamping and dowels are
for location, but to retain the body's original structural strength, the
use of two steel rings that sandwich the sheetmetal between them - the
bolts clamp the rings to the sheetmetal doing two things - The bolts act as
dowel pins and as a strengthener - clamping the body skin between the metal
rings, increasing the strength of the body skin, thus making it as strong
as if there were no hole cut into the body. You follow?

Just to make sure I'm coming through clear, two steel rings, 1/8" or so
thick, 1/2" or so wide, go on both sides of the hole cut into the cab
sheetmetal, and another set goes on both sides of the holes cut into the
bed, Then the accordian boot, as was mentioned, connects the two, allowing
access and providing a weather-tight seal.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net