Re: Air horn help

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 02:28:01 EDT

At 01:45 AM 4/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I own a 94 Dak. And the stock air horn SUCKS!!my moms min-vans is better
>than my trucks. so i said to hell with it and bought some "Dual -tone
>Airhorns" with the "Easy install instrutions." Well to start its a picture
>with numbers, you follow the numbers and in about 10 (seriously) languages
>tells you what each thing is.BIG WHOOPIE! Now that i explained that heres my
>proublm. The circuuit (i guess) is a black box. Has 4 prongs. 1)12 volt in
>2)horn switch 3)ground 4)out to air compressor..
>Well.....On the stock horn there is only one wire (looks like several molded
>together) goin to the horn. Does anyone understand a thing i have said?No,
>ask what you need and i'll give all the info you need. well thanks for at
>least reading this!
>Soon to have a dak to scare the people at the movies,
> --Randall

    The black box is a relay. I think you can wire it as follows:

    - 1 (12 volts in) - hook this up to a constant source of +12v. (i.e.
positive terminal on battery, ignition wire, etc.) If you want to be able
to honk your horn when the engine is off, be sure to choose a source that
isn't keyed by the ignition. Your best bet might just be the positive
battery terminal, unless you have a multimeter handy that you can probe for
live wires with.
    - 2 (horn switch) - attach the wire that ran to your stock horn here.
    - 3 (ground) - hook this up to ground. (a piece of non-painted
metal/screw/bolt on the chassis, negative battery terminal, etc.)
    - 4 (out to air compressor) - attach this to the wire leading to the
air compressor.

     You may be able to get away with just connecting the wire that leads
to your stock horn to the air compressor directly, as I think that wire
feeds the stock horn +12v, but it really depends on the amount of current
the air horns draw. Probably better in the long run to hook it up the way
they describe. (A relay is nothing more than an electronically controlled
switch; its used when you have to run something that sucks a lot of current
with a control input which is low current. The path that is being switched
is +12v and the wire to the compressor. The "horn switch" input is the
control input (a positive voltage). The ground is to give the control
input something to flow to. When you hit the horn button, +12v will show
up at terminal #2, and while "flowing to ground" (#3), it will operate what
is probably an electromagnetic switch of some type which causes #1 to be
connected to #4.)

    FYI: The reason the stock horn doesn't sound very good is that its
only a single tone horn (either high or low). If you were to get another
horn (high or low, the opposite of what you've got stock) it would sound a
lot better. Since you've got the air horns already though, you might as
well hook 'em up. You could always get the other tone horn in addition to
the air horns though and really make a racket! :-)

   Have fun!

                                               -Jon-

   .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'