DML:Tonneau covers do save gas!!!!!! And increase driveability!!!

From: Keith Gorney (gorneys@worldpath.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 09:12:02 EDT

I have seen it said by others on this list that tonneau covers saving =
gas are a myth.
I have proof that is FALSE! Of course it depends on your driving habits. =
If you take short trips around town and that's it, then know you =
probably won't see a difference.
I commute about 45 miles each way, all open and highway every weekday at =
least. Without the cover I was consistently lousy 16 mpg (my driving =
habits aren't exactly lightfooted either!) in a 5 speed V6 Dakota!!!!!! =
Even handling on a windy day was like riding a bucking ....(I can't =
bring myself to say bronco (Ford)!!!!)...Barracuda! I could actually =
feel the truck being held back if I was driving into the wind!=20
Enter the new soft tonneau cover - average mpg so far 18 - 19 mpg!!!! =
Windy days (like the ride home today) no longer slow this speeding =
Dakota!!!!
So I say to anyone who does a lot of highway driving, a tonneau cover =
will make a noticeable difference. I'm not saying you're V6 will be =
toasting Mustangs with just a cover, but the truck will be more =
responsive in windy weather and thank you with better gas mileage!
Keith
99 Dakota Sport+ CC 4x4 V6