Now: Buying Price, Was: Autovantage.com

From: Todd Abernathy (t_abernathy7@juno.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 11:47:01 EDT

"Here's my version of buying a vehicle:
1) come LATE at night
2) if you don't like the prices, LEAVE. set your prices low
3) don't go model to model, choose the one you really like and haggle it!
4) if you're there at night (20 minutes before closing time, mid month
time)
they'll usually ask "well, if we made a good deal tonight, will you buy
the
vehicle?" Respond with a "yes" and don't lose your ground on pricing."

That sounds good for a vehicle that's on the lot, but if you're ordering
new vehicle you shouldn't even pay invoice. The dealer's cost on an
order is only the time to make the sale and do the paper work. With
Dodge the dealership will still get 3% of the MSRP as "holdback" to cover
the cost of the vehicle setting on the lot for 30 days. Well, you'll be
picking it up within a few days of delivery, so they are saving a lot of
money there. The first dealership I went into was willing to sell at
$100 over invoice. I worked the dealerships off of each other and got
down to a $100 under invoice with some stuff thrown in. To get them to
that price did not take all that much work. If I knew then what I know
now I think I could have got them to go maybe a $100 or so lower, but at
the time I just wanted to get my truck ordered. The dealership also gets
benefits from the manufacture for moving so may units in a year that we
don't know about.

I also found that the dealerships have some flexibility in their pricing
with regards to the processing fee. If they insist they have to have X
for the vehicle and that price sounds okay see if you can get them to
sell if for Y and let them make the difference up in the processing fee.
That way you are paying less taxes on the Y price, but the dealership
still got the X price.

I found Kiplinger's New Car & Truck, Buyer's Guide to have the best
information about buying a new or used vehicle.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.