Re: Throttle body backfires

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 12:33:26 EDT

At 10:48 AM 4/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
> Interesting. That sounds similar to when I started it up with the
>4bbl. I could smell the gas in the air, there was smoke coming out
>of the exhaust pipe, and the A/F meter was trying to bust the needle
>right out the "rich" side of the gauge. :-) After maybe 20 seconds
>or so, the needle started moving back and forth and everything seemed
>normal. I wonder if it will do that every time I reset the computer?

Same thing here about smelling gas fumes. I can't remember if I reset
the computer while the 24#s were in. I'll remember to do that the next
time I put the 24# in for some more testing.

> Oh, another thing I forgot to mention, when I shut off the engine,
>if I open up the throttle body blades, smoke comes out. Not real thick
>or black or anything, just a constant flow of thin smoke. There are
>also traces of oil in the intake. It did that with the 2bbl TB also.
>Is this a normal thing? (Truck has 70,000 miles.)

Hmmm, I've not had smoke coming out of the tb. I have looked down
the tb as well into the stock intake. It was moist but seemed more
like a gasoline wetness than oil. Sounds like we may both good candidates
for a thorough decarbonation. Place where I got my scanner sells
a device for this ... looks like you're giving an IV to the fuel
runners!

Bob