strange whine on my 92 Dak

From: Hemikota@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 15:15:02 EDT

Well, got to tune up my ol 92 Dak today, GP's brought it up. So I take it
out for a spin I still think the 4.7 is quicker, but not as fun to drive.
The 318 sounds more "balsy" and low end tq is definentely there.
Anyway, I noticed a strange whine that grew louder as it started to shift
gears. It sounds like when you blow across the top of an empty bottle. It
only does it on moderate to quick acceleration.
I checked for vaccuum leaks, I think it may be internal, anyone know anything
else?
I also noticed the front crank and rear main seals have been leaking,
grandfather says he has used 3 qts of oil in 4k miles.
Do main bearings make whining noises when they are wiped? No knocking at
idle, no vibrations in the drivetrain, I'm stumped.
Any ideas?
Boog