Re: DML:Tonneau covers do save gas!!!!!! And increase driveability!!!

From: Frank Johnson (frankwjohnson@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 15:30:34 EDT

----True, the weight is definietly much more of a factor on the V6.

>My soft tonno doesnt start to flap until about 50+ mph, so anything >below
>that and its nice and stable.
----But that's just about the speed where aerodynamics starts to play a
major role in fuel economy right? i mean, in the city i never go more than
40 mph (70 kph) and so any slight effect that having any tonneau on the back
is negligible.

>Besides the only other alternative to any of these two would have >been
>taking off the tailgate. (or that rubber net)
----There was a posting of a site that has this long study about what was
the very best thing aerodynamically for the back of a pickup bed. I'm sure
other DML'ers know what i'm talking about.
It said that putting the tailgate down helped the aerodynamics of a truck,
but removing it, or attaching that netting stuff actually made it worse.

>Sure it flaps, but Ive taken that flapping tonno well over 100 mph, >and
>let me tell you its better than nothing.
----That's kinda my whole point though--that flapping is hurting the
aerodynamics of the vehicle, and therefore the fuel economy. With the hard
cover, no flapping, smoother air travel around and over the truck.

I need an acronym for aerodynamics, used it a lot in this thread. :)

Frank WJ