Re: MORE HOLLEY HELP!

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 00:34:20 EDT

At 08:51 PM 4/7/2000 , you wrote:
>ok thanks to everyone that posted, now the hard part. I just rebuilt the
>motor and have to break in the cam. Should i be trying to adjust it as it
>runs at 2500RPM. What is the best starting procedure for a fresh motor. Also
>where should i put my screws ect to get it to run at 2500? The carb was
>bought from a friend who took it off and old car and let it sit on a shelf,
>he is a mechanic and said it should be fine. What do you guys think? Thanks
>for the help.
>Paul Finley

If it starts and can maintain at least 2000 RPMs, let it run for the cam
break-in period. Once you start the engine, don't stop it unless your
forced to by oil or fuel leak and the like.

Play with the mixture screws while it's running, the plates will still be
closed enough to have the mixture screws cause a change in the
mixture. Just don't go too lean during breakin. Watch your temperature.

As long as fuel didn't evaporate or get cooked in the bowls you should be
fine. Gummy fuel deposits like to clog the orifices in the metering
blocks. If it was taken off a working engine, and the screws haven't been
adjusted, run it as is.

For start procedure, it's always a good idea to prime the oil system. Take
the distributor out, get a socket and tape it to a long extension and get a
1/2" drill and spin the oil pump in normal direction until you get oil to
the top of the heads. If you used assembly lube like Lubriplate, you don't
need to prime. Just don't crank over a totally dry engine, good way to
scuff the bearings.

To get it to run at 2500, get a helper with a steady foot to hold the gas
pedal and watch the oil and temp gauges, while you watch for fuel and oil
leaks. Or get/make a dead man. 1/16" 5x5" sheetmetal plate, about three
foot long 7/16"or so diameter threaded or smooth metal rod. Drill a hole
in the metal plate slightly larger than the metal rod. Put the plate
against the front of the seat, rod on the petal and voila (sp?)

Mike

mschwall@flash.net