Re: Rust proofing a new truck, would you ?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 01:11:03 EDT

At 11:19 PM 4/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm toying with getting my new truck undercoated and rust protected by
>Ziebart. It would cost $229 for the first treatment. Each year I would
>take it back for re-treatment. If they have to power clean the
>undercarriage, which they most likely will have to do, they charge $29
>for the cleaning. I asked if I could do it myself at a car wash, but
>they claim their power sprayer is much more powerful and most people
>don't get it clean enough. Everything else is already paid for. The
>warranty runs as long as the truck is legally registered. This is the
>deal for new vehicles, less than 12K miles, only. Now, the factory
>warranty is like 100,000 on rust and paint, so say seven years then
>that's it. Ziebart says they will fix or replace anything that they
>treat that rust. I plan to keep the truck until it dies, so hopefully
>several years. Has anyone used Ziebart ? Does this sound like it is
>worth it ?
>
>I'm in the midwest and we can get a lot of salt on the roads in winter.
>Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
>Todd

I had Ziebart on my '78 Dodge B100 van and was not too happy with
its effectiveness against rust. In all probability, they have
improved their product (I don't know as I will not use their product
again) over the years as the competition in this area has grown.

I have used Krown Rust on all my vehicles since '86 and none of
them have experienced rusting problems. You have your vehicle
spray once a year (initial spray is about 109.95 CDN and subsequent
annual spray is 99.95 CDN). Another company with a 'similar'
type of product and spraying schedule is Rust Check.

I believe Krown Rust has some franchises in the U.S. but I do
not know what name they go by. I have been told that their
largest user is the U.S. military.

Get someone who has an annual program as part of their policy to do
it ... if anyone says that you will have long term protection with
only one spray, leave their premises immediately, preferably at
WOT.

That has been my experience.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.