RE: what to do when stopped WAS:check this out

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 17:49:23 EDT

At 02:32 PM 4/8/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Of course there's always the cops that are just plain A-holes! I slipped
>by one at 15 over (sittin under a bridge). As soon as I passed him I saw
>him back up and start to turn around to get out. I figured "be real nice
>and I might get a warning" so before he'd even gotten onto the friggin
>highway I pulled over and waited for him, rolled down the windows, got out
>my ins. and reg. cuz he hadn't even gotten there yet and waited. All he
>had for me when he finally got there was a smart A&& remark! "Guess you
>know why I pulled you over huh?" B&&stard gave me a ticked for 15 over!
>didn't even bother to sweeten it down to 10 over or anything! I figured I
>couldn't have been ANY nicer to that cop than I was!

   A similar thing happened to me several years back. I crested a hill
doing 85 in my old 3000 GT (since I had just finished passing someone going
up the hill and I didn't bother to hit the brakes or anything to slow back
down to 55). There were several cars coming the other way, one of which
was a police officer. I knew he hit me with instant on when the Valentine
One lit up. As I went by him, I saw him pull over to the curb and wait for
the cars behind him to go by so he could pull a U-turn. I pulled over
right away (about 300 feet past where he was sitting), then waited for
him. He wasn't a jerk or anything, but he did write the ticket to be 1mph
lower than the cutoff for more points and money,so I guess he did cut me a
break there. Lemme tell ya, with the amount of time I knew he had to wait
before he could turn around and the top end of my VR-4, the thought *did*
occur to me that I could probably be in another zip code before he even got
into the right lane. ;-) Oh well, better safe than sorry. :-)

    Seems to me that some cops get into that business to help people, and
others do it because it gives them a power trip. Sounds like you got one
of the latter, and we could definitely do without them. :-P

                                               -Jon-

   .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'