Re: NEW motor starting procedure

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 23:50:42 EDT

At 12:00 AM 4/8/2000 , you wrote:
>Aren't you supposed to run the engine at 1500 RPMS for about 5 hours under
>that "engine treatment" stuff, then change the oil, drive it for about 5,000
>miles and you're ready to go? That's what I think it is. Should be
>somewhere close to that...
>-Dester

Nope, standard procedure is regular dino straight weight oil, like HD30, no
multi weight, prime the oil system, or use assembly lube during
building (don't use extra cam lube on the main and rod bearings - big
no-no - keep cam lube and assembly lube separate), soon as the engine fires
get it up to 2000 RPMs as soon as possible and keep it there for 30
minutes. Only shut it off for major reasons like Niagara Falls/Old
Faithfull of fuel, oil, or water. You want the engine to run as cool as
possible during the cam break-in. Shoving a water hose down the radiator
cap hole does good. A regular box fan bowing through the radiator is also
good. Don't let the engine reach operating temperature during the first 30
minutes. Cooler the better. Gets all the crap out before everything
starts expanding and sealing (hello rings).

After the 30 minutes, shut it down, inspect for leaks, button everything
up, Take it on the road and treat it the same as your purpose for building
it. Never keep the same RPM for over five minutes, change engine speed
every minute or so, by at least 200 RPM. Give it a run for the money
every-once-in-a-while. All this crap you hear about not going WOT or
pushing it hard is pus*y talk. I've built my fair share of motors. If the
motor was built well, everything within it's limits, run it like you plan
to. If you have a manual tranny, run it hard to 3000 or so and let off the
gas letting the engine slow you down - cleans out the rings. Don't get
carried away with it, since it also slows ring break-in. If you used moly
rings, there pretty much broke in after cam break-in. Cast rings take
quite a while as with chrome rings.

Change your oil after the first 500, then every 3K, or if did a bad job of
keep things clean, 100, 500, then every 3k.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net