What`s up with my truck?

From: Steve Preston (steve318@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 19:53:57 EDT

I have a 99 Dak V6 4x4 auto RC.I got it in September and it has 5000
miles on it.I love the truck,but something`s up with it.The performance
is really erratic.Most of the time,it just lacks power and feels like
something is holding it back.Then it will straighten up and run fine
sometimes,but lately that`s been the exception.You know,it`s not normal
to have to drive with OD off on flat ground just to maintain the speed
limit.I`m talkin` 55 mph,not interstate speed.On the other hand,when the
truck decides to run well,it stays in overdrive even on fairly steep
hills,so I mean a BIG performance change.I did take it in to the shop.No
problem found.To me,that`s crazy,but I guess it could have been on good
behavior THEN.It has had a couple of minor problems at the same
time,hopefully related.Seems to have VERY firm shifts a lot of the
time.Also,the idle will fluctuate up and down,sometimes 500 rpm or
so.Normal? Has anyone had these problems with the 239 auto,97 or
newer?I`m willing to entertain any suggestions as to what the problem
might be or how to determine whether it`s engine or transmission
related.I have a Fluke 12 and I know how to use it!!It`s not brake
related,because problem will come and go on the highway,not having
touched the brake.Fluid levels are(seem)O.K.