Re: Mike D major questions regarding Pr. 13s

From: mike d. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 01:09:27 EDT

>>Ok Mike, How much is labor costing you? Did you cut a deal with the
guy
doing it? Second What all comes on a shortblock? I think it might be
more
economical for me to buy a shortblock and work it over and add the parts
and then drop it in than a twin turbo setup. More fun too. And also how
did you find a shop that would work with you on the install?<<

aiiight =)
The actual cost of labor for the install is still up in the air. I'm
still pretty unclear of what exactly it's gonna take to get the 360 into
the nose of the truck (I've heard about 3 different things as far as
motor mounts on magnums and stuff...). Once he figures out how much
welding and cutting and electrical stuff he's gonna have to do, and how
much wrench turnin' I do then I'll know. The dude is doing the work in
his own garage... it's really hard to get someone to do an engine swap
like this at their place of bbusiness. Mostly legal issues and liability.
>From what I've been told, it's not THAT hard to do, but a lot easier if
you can weld and have air tools.
To acquire a block, I went to a boneyard and got one straight out of an
other truck. I got everything alrady on it, so al it needed was a rebuild
and it was ready to go in. You could get a decent motor with about 70k on
it for 900 beans at a boneyard. Drop about 800 into a rebuild and you
have a pretty much new motor for the cost of a shortblock. Besides, a
Shortblock only comes with the block itself.. no heads... so the boneyard
thing is much cheaper. A longblock is the block itself and the heads. The
funny thing is, a Magnum long block is only about $100 more than a premag
longblock (may be an interesting project to put premag intake and fuel
injection on a magnum block and see what happens.. especially with a
turbo setup).
The way I found the shop was funny. This guy is the dude I take my truck
to for everything. He's an old hotrodder who builds 10sec mustangs when
he has nothing else to do. He said he'd be more than happy to do it, but
he'd have to do it out of his house and stuff. I trust this dude 100%. I
plan to get a lot of pictures and do a step-by-step write up on the whole
process... If you have any other questions, drop me a line =)

-mike d.

---> Yorktown, Va.
"PROJECT 13's" ... slammed 88 Dakota gettin' a Magnum 360!

miggitymike@juno.com
http://members.xoom.com/dakotaperf/index.html

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.