Re: K&N dissed at inspection

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 12:47:37 EDT

At 09:36 AM 4/10/00 , you wrote:
>It has to be the idiot in the shop then. If it has a CARB# and it's legal
>in 50 states...that means exactly what it states...LEGAL.

Not necessarily. Here's what happened when I took mine in to get inspected
a couple of weeks ago. I've been going to the same guy for the last 25
years because while he is a fairly "by the book" kind of guy, he mainly
just hits the basics (e.g. he doesn't check headlight alignment). He'll get
you in and out real quick and won't try to find something that's not there
just to make an extra few bucks. Anyway, after he checks all my lights and
horn and wipers I ask if he wants me to pop the hood since he has always
checked the brake fluid. He says "Yes" so I do and he looks in and says "OK
you don't have one of those chrome cleaners." He says that people have
learned that if you have one you had better take it off and put the factory
stuff back on or it won't pass. I ask him "What about the ones that are
CARB approved and 50 state legal." He tells me that folks in California
don't make the rules for Texas and that here in Texas if it didn't come
that way from the factory it won't get passed.

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

I hope Costco and Price Club never get into
the organ transplant business. Because,
hey, who really needs a 24-pack of kidneys?