Re: Kyle, ball joint and tie rod replacement!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 20:16:44 EDT

> Just give me a shout when you start doing the work. Not too bad to do,
> you'll need the "special socket" to remove the upper ball joints but some
> guys get them out with a big a** monkey wrench, whatever works for you.
You
> might have a problem with the lowers because they are pressed in. Remove
> the steering knuckle and with the lower control arm supported by a jack
use
> a large drift and bang them out with a sledge. You will need the tool to
> press them back in but a lot off part stores will lend you the tool if you
> buy their ball joints. Buy only lifetime parts, I prefer Moog.
>
> Where did you get the buckets for $50 bucks! I'm assuming they are from a
> donor car (from what?). What did the console come from?

Yes, the buckets were from a Dakota, a 1993 at that. The console is from the
same vehicle but I am going to order a Tuffy Series II Steel Console, like
the one shown here:
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/consoles/seriesll.html
Yes, I will only buy the parts which come with a lifetime warranty, like
Moog and Perfect Circle(Dana). I justed replaced the idler arm and pitman
arm and used Dana parts, they fit great and werent that expensive. Do I have
to REMOVE the lower control arm, like it states in the manual?....... I
really hope not!!!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6