Part II - The Zany World of Car Mergers

From: Steve St.Laurent (saint1958@home.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 23:00:47 EDT

Part II - The Zany World of Car Mergers

Getting the Nedcar, DaimlerChrysler and not the blue oval will take over the
NedCar assembly plant in the Netherlands. Last week, following
DaimlerChrysler purchase of controlling interest in the giant manufacture
Mitsubishi (controlling interest holder of Nedcar), Volvo cars of North
America (a subsidiary of the blue oval) assumed its parent company would buy
Mitsubishi half of the Nedcar. Well, it looks like the DC will build the
Volvo S40/V40 platform vehicle for the Blue Oval. I would imagine that
Henry Ford is rolling over in his grave after seeing this.

Now for the better half of the news - what to expect beyond this model year.
DC plans to release the all new powerful Chrysler/Dodge minivan for 2001.
Along with all new powerful 230HP V-6, the largest power plant for the
minivan arena, there are many other new innovations that will revile the
other brand lines, namely Honda out of more sales for the 2001 model year
(MY). Starting with a power slider door that even a small child head or
hand will not be crushed against the mini-van metal door column. Like the
Ferd WINDYSTAR. Sorry it is Windstar minivan. The all new revolutionary
laser sensor devices can detect any body part movements (up or down the door
column) while the door is closing. Second, is the power raise rear hatch for
the laziest parents that cannot get out of the car. This is the first of
its kind ever in the auto industry . Finally, the third is the three
comfort zone for those who claim - "I'm cold!" or "I'm having hot flashes"
type women. Wow! A family man can drive without complaints now. Not to
forget, the minivan was outfitted with the cladding of anti-sound barrier so
thick, to include new type gasket around doors, mirrors, windows, making you
think that it was a Mercedes SL-600. So where is the in car movie theater
for the bratty, noisy kids in the back seats - DC?

During the 2003 MY, a change in the minivan arena is coming with a new
crossover vehicle called for now (codename) RS. This crossover minivan will
be built on the Concorde platform. Also slated for that year will be the
second-generation and successful Dodge Viper. Tom Gale, top leading DC
concept manager, hinted at the Viper GTS-R show car for styling cues and
added additional horsepower output. No! It will not be with the V-8
version of new line of Hemi motors. The stock V-10 with a current 450HP
range will bumped to the 500 plus range to stay ahead of the competition
from the bow tie engineers. It seems Chevy has announced the coming C-6
version of the Vette and 400 plus horsepower to keep in pace with the Dodge
Viper. But wait DC owners! It is a rumor that Chevy may produce that V-10
for the Vette. Not! April fools. Well at least it was close to April 1st.
Sorry Bow Tie! Try it again. Then, on a sad note, the next Dodge Ram will
take it style concept from this year concept vehicle called Maxicab. A
truck/car derivative to incorporate the import version of plush truck with
car like ride and interior feeling. Is this a joke? A truck with feel of
car? Maybe that is why truck is being driven by so many women now. Anyway,
during that time, a new offshoot PT Cruiser, dubbed the PT-74, will take it
styling cues from the more aggressive Ram/Dakota line and will on the Dodge
sales floor. Hmm! Maybe a little Dak with a turbo four to boot.

To finally finish in the 2004 MY, the all new Charger from Dodge, with an
expect 327HP 4.7L Hemi Motor. Yes! The final return of the great Hemi
Motors are coming. Remember the 60s! Well their - BACK! Looking at the
all new four door Dodge Charger, there blowing winds of hard pounding muscle
cars, is the return of the all new Bow Tie Camaro/Trans Am with an expect
351HP C5 Vette motor. Another is the coming Ferd MuscleStang (Mustang),
with an expected 350HP on the Cobra version. However, never fear DC owners,
since the Hemi ruled in the 60s, they will again rule in the 00s. I wonder
if Honda could build a good V-8, strong enough to compete here in Muscle
mania America and not the F1 races. We shall see even the H badge making
head way with the its own version of the first V-8 for the little H. First
in line for this motor is the all new truck lines then latter part of the
decade the car line. But I expect a fall off of Honda sales since there is
soon be release of the Focus SVT and Cougar SVT version is coming to your
nearest Blue Oval showroom floor. Not to forget the remake of the Neon R/T.
Now if only DC can add a turbo charger and some real meaty tires.

The rest of the zany world of automobile namely Mercedes-Benz, with boring
cars are being updated and replaced with a new performance appeal from in
house performance builder AMG. AMG has been tasked to retune the current 55
line, M series line and now the SLR Vision Roadster. Stop! I don't feel
good. I have this bad after taste in my mouth called - BARF. Whoops! I
mean TAR. But from the Jeep line, same story and same boring Jeeps. All
well! At least there one division that build cars for fun and performance.
Meaning DODGE!

By Steve St.Laurent
Dakota Truck Group (DML)
DaimlerChrysler