Re: Re: Radiator taking a beating; PreRunner Radiator Guard!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 11:52:26 EDT

> > Just changed the oil on my 2000 dak for the first time and notice that
> > winter salt and gravel was not kind to my radiator. I also notice that
> there
> > are mounting brackets off the radiator that appear to provide mounting
for
> > something that I assume protects the radiator as the brackets appear to
be
> > in the locations where the most damage is occuring.
> >
> > Is there something I can do or buy that will save the radiator fins from
> > being attacked? Didn't see anything on Dodge's website.
> >
> > Also anyone know of any Internet sites that are recommended for Dak
> > accessories?
>
> I wouldnt worry about it, since my Dak's radiator has taken winter salt
and
> gravel roads also for 7 years now without a problem. I removed my lower
air
> dam since it just is one more thing to get ripped off when 4wheelin. With
> the lower air dam off, the is about 4 inches or so of radiator that you
can
> see. My Dak started to ruin a bit warmer than normal and upon inspection,
> did have the degrease this lower 4-5 inches of the radiator with Castrol's
> Super Clean, and now the Dak runs cooler, like it used to. Not sure about
> the 2000 Daks, but I plan on running a sheet of either plan aluminum or
> diamond tread plate from the front frame crossmember(holes are already
> predrilled!) into the holes on the lower 'lip' of the bumper, where the
air
> dam used to be bolted onto. I would of course use stainless steel sheet
> metal screws to fasten the guard to the crossmember and stainless steel
> bolts to fasten the guard to the bumper. This will give the radiator
awesome
> protection against getting a rock through it or getting puntured, plus it
> will give my truck almost a 'pre-runner' look. I may even reinforce it on
> the backside with some 1/8"-1/4" flat aluminum or steel plate. I should be
> able to make this 'radiator guard' for about $30, including the aluminum
> sheet and all the stainless steel hardware. You might want to get under
you
> Dak and see if there is something similar you can do. Good Luck!
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

And you can ever have this 'PreRunner-Radiator Guard' sprayed with LineX, so
it wont ever rust. Plus they will guarentee the finish, so if you ever scrap
it on a rock or something and tear some LineX off, take it off and they will
respray it! I have my Grill/Brush Guard sprayed with LineX and it simply
looks awesome.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6