Re: Radiator taking a beating; PreRunner Radiator Guard!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 11:41:01 EDT

> Just changed the oil on my 2000 dak for the first time and notice that
> winter salt and gravel was not kind to my radiator. I also notice that
there
> are mounting brackets off the radiator that appear to provide mounting for
> something that I assume protects the radiator as the brackets appear to be
> in the locations where the most damage is occuring.
>
> Is there something I can do or buy that will save the radiator fins from
> being attacked? Didn't see anything on Dodge's website.
>
> Also anyone know of any Internet sites that are recommended for Dak
> accessories?

I wouldnt worry about it, since my Dak's radiator has taken winter salt and
gravel roads also for 7 years now without a problem. I removed my lower air
dam since it just is one more thing to get ripped off when 4wheelin. With
the lower air dam off, the is about 4 inches or so of radiator that you can
see. My Dak started to ruin a bit warmer than normal and upon inspection, I
did have the degrease this lower 4-5 inches of the radiator with Castrol's
Super Clean, and now the Dak runs cooler, like it used to. Not sure about
the 2000 Daks, but I plan on running a sheet of either plan aluminum or
diamond tread plate from the front frame crossmember(holes are already
predrilled!) into the holes on the lower 'lip' of the bumper, where the air
dam used to be bolted onto. I would of course use stainless steel sheet
metal screws to fasten the guard to the crossmember and stainless steel
bolts to fasten the guard to the bumper. This will give the radiator awesome
protection against getting a rock through it or getting puntured, plus it
will give my truck almost a 'pre-runner' look. I may even reinforce it on
the backside with some 1/8"-1/4" flat aluminum or steel plate. I should be
able to make this 'radiator guard' for about $30, including the aluminum
sheet and all the stainless steel hardware. You might want to get under you
Dak and see if there is something similar you can do. Good Luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6