Re: Got the Powertrax No-Slip Installed !! (Eugene)

From: Neal Arita (neal@heide-cook.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 13:26:14 EDT

Eugene,
As Tom F posted earlier, contact Devin King at Unitrax,
I paid $385.50 to Hawaii, postage included.
I'm still adjusting to the different feel as a result of the No-Slip.
You will need to check which rear housing you have. If you
already have a sure-grip, you cannot use the No-Slip.
It replaces the 4 spider gears only. The "pumpkin" or diff case
remains in place. It is a fairly simple project.
There are many benefits to this No-Slip. It is great, but
I must warn you of what I found happens when you are
accelerating in a turn (wide) and you quickly let off the
gas...feels like the rear end whips back. I'll try to describe it:
" When in a turn and accelerating, it feels like
the rear is pushing the truck in the opposite direction of the turn
(as it is locked), this is referred to as understeer. If the gas is
quickly let off, there is a quick response in the rear and a
momentary oversteer occurs."
I'm sure, as Gary posted, you adjust your driving habits to
compensate for this.
If you have any questions, I'm sure someone can respond to
your concerns.
As I was checking into the No-Slip, I have NOT found anyone
unsatisfied with it's results. The unit does lock. I have two (2)
black marks on my driveway to prove it. I still need to put it through
the test - towing a trailer in the mud (I have a 4x2).

Neal Arita - from Hawaii
'97 CC, 5.2L, Auto, No-Slip