Re: Re: Michelin LTX M/S Tires

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 16:57:43 EDT

> >In my opinion, you can get a lot better tire than those, even if you are
not
> >interested in 4wheelin'. Especially when you look at prices, with
Michelins,
> >you are paying for the name......paying too much at that. I have pulled
out
> >about a handful of 4WD Vehicles(very offroad capable vehicles) with these
> >tires, but thye chose the wrong tire/tread. The tread design is just too
> >'street oriented' for any type of non-paved surface.
>
> I appreciate your comments but I don't think the price (just over $100
> each) is excessive for 80K mile tires. I've owned many sets of Michelin
> tires over the years and have gotten outstanding wear from them all.

Mike,
True Michelins do wear excellent, and if that is what you want and if that
is what you want to spend.......they buy em. I wouldn't buy them if they
lasted 100,000 miles. I have have 3 sets of tires now on my Dak. First were
the factory Goodyear Wrangler ATs which wore out bald at 30,000 miles. They
did have some nice traction though. Second set were Hoosier Radial ATs($265
for 4, mounted, balanced, lifetime rotation, etc) which lasted about 45,000
miles....these had really good traction. I am now running Dunlop Radial
Rover RVs($275 for 4, mounted, balanced, lifetime rotation, etc) which have
about 45,000 miles on them and still have about 15,000 miles(atleast) left
on them. See there is a sacrifice to be made......more aggressive AT tires
have larger voids, or spaces in between the treads, which means they have
better offroad traction but they wear faster. 'On-road' AT(street biased
tires) have small voids between the voids which allows the tread to wear
alot better, but the traction just isnt there. I would say go with what you
think you will do with your Dak and what road conditions you will dirve on.
I will put any of my previous tires up against the Michelins any day, but I
demand I good offroad all terrain tire which can handle a wide variety of
'road' surfaces/conditions.........something I THINK the Michelin LTXs are
not. Good Luck on whichever tire you end up buying, and please dont read to
see how Consumer Reports rated AT tires!!! :)
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6