Exhaust Pipe Measurements

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 18:43:29 EDT

I got under my Dak today to see exactly what pipe sizes I have. The ONLY
work I have done on the exhuast is having a new catalytic converter put in
after the stock on broken down internally at 75,000 miles(over 2 years ago).
Here is what I found using a digital caliper:
-Pipe from the factory 'y-pipe' to the catalytic converter is a large 3
inches.........
-The 'replacement catalytic converter' is 2.75"; both inlet and outlet. The
muffler place probably didnt have a 3" catalytic converter so they just
welded on a 2.75" converter and just loaded up the welds to make up for
difference, the weld lines are rather large and nasty looking. I wish I
would have measured the factory converter size, but I bet it would have been
3" also.....oh well......live and learn..........
-There is a 3" small piece of pipe welded to the outlet of the cat, once
again with large nasty welds connected to a reducer, it really looks like a
crappy job now that I look at it, done by the muffler shop who replaced the
cat I am sure, definately not a factory job.............
-The muffler inlet starts out a 2.75" and then goes down to 2.5"...........
-The muffler outlet is 2.5" ..........
-Pipe after the muffler is 2.5"........
When I get a new muffler put in, I will have the muffler shop get rid of all
the nasty reducers, couplers, and pipes between the catalytic converter and
the muffler. I found a really good muffler shop who does nice custom work
close by, where I am going to take my Dak to for all this work.
So whatcha think? Should I just get a Dynomax Super Turbo which will come in
the 2.75" size and match up really nice with the catalytic converter 2.75"
pipe and then just use a reducer to match up with the 2.5" exit pipe?? The
muffler choice is between a Super Turbo or a Flowmaster 3chamber Delta Flow.
The Flowmaster I can only get in 2.5" size, which would match up nicely with
the 2.5" exit pipe, but not with the 2.75" catalytic converter pipe. Nothing
is easy, is it!!!! Any suggestions???
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6