Re: 1/4 mile track suggestions

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 18:46:04 EDT

At 02:10 PM 4/14/2000 , you wrote:
>How much tire pressure should I run for 275/60/R17? Would taking off in
>4x4 work better than 2 wheel drive? Right now it hooks up pretty damn
>good. I just put these tires on her last week. Would it help to manually
>shift it from 1, 2, into D or let the computer decide when to
>shift? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I know the max torque hits at
>a lower RPM than max HP, so I would think it would be better to shift
>after max torque has been achieved? Since what you actually "feel" when
>you take off is torque not HP.
>
>Chuck
>'00 Flame Red Durango SLT+
>5.9L, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, R/T wheels (Goodyear 275/60/R17)

With 3.92 gears and those tires, probably down near 25 or so. Throw some
chalk dust and drive over it. Lower the air pressure until you get full
tread contact with the ground, then go a few psi lower on the right, five
sounds good.

Don't run in 4x4 mode. Good way to bust the xfer case chain, u-joint,
whatever the weakest link is. Never use 4x4 on hard surface when
transferring full torque.

First to second is a torque shift, after that it's HP that gets you to the
finish line. Put in some dyno time, get the numbers, figure out your
optimum shift points, get a shift kit and customize the shift patterns.

Or just mash the gas and hang on and be happy waist deep in the 16's.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net