Re: Under the hood dressing

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 00:05:17 EDT

At 11:36 PM 4/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
[...]
>In particular, I continue to seek out "Yellow" and "Black" as the only two
>colors that shall ultimately be on my vehicle(There seems to be plenty of
>"chrome" stuff out there, it just don't work with my vehicle). For under the
>hood, I'm looking for a few areas where I can replace the stock BLACK lines
>and wires (like the vacuum lines and plug wires).
>
>Any suggestions are appreciated. Everything I've seen so far has been for
>imports.

   Kevin,

   Are you looking to actually replace the wires and hoses with wires and
hoses of a different color, or would you consider just using an exterior
covering? That "wire loom" stuff (not sure what the technical name for it
is; there's plenty of the stuff (in black) under the hood) comes in many
different colors from many different sources (JC Whitney, swap meets,
etc.) It probably wouldn't look as slick as if you were to actually get
different colored hoses, but it might be a good way to cover the electrical
wires, if nothing else. I got some of the stuff at Carlisle last year but
haven't had a chance to try it out yet. :-)

    Something that just occured to me... I was trying to think of a way to
"paint" the stock hoses, (heater, A/C, radiator, etc) but it seems like
paint would crack on a rubber hose. Then I thought, what about that liquid
electrical tape? That comes in many different colors, and I think (?) it
will remain somewhat flexible. Anyone know of a reason why coating the
hoses in liquid electrical tape wouldn't work?

                                               -Jon-

   .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'