Re: Twin Turbo Smog Issues

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 14:44:20 EDT

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, frank golembieski wrote:

> i don't see how it wouldn't be leagel you would be
> useing the same amount of fuel just a lot more air so
> the emmission would be lower right ... more air to
> dilute the mixture going to the sniffer ?

  Well, you need to add more fuel too, in proportion to the
amount of extra air; otherwise you'll run too lean...

 Its because the govt. is stupid. (That's what it really
boils down to...) :-)

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with emissions testing as
I do if that's what they were REALLY doing. Although it is
definitely possible to modify an engine in all sorts of ways to
make lots of power without increasing emissions (maybe even
decreasing them!), the emissions people don't care. They will take
one look under the hood and see that you have added or removed or
changed something that their little books say will change the
emissions and will fail you without even bothering to test
what the emissions ACTUALLY are!

  Like most things the govt. is involved in, its a screwed up
system which is actually serving a purpose other than what it
was intended for. (If it was really about reducing emissions,
wouldn't they just stick a test probe in the tailpipe? That's
the only thing that matters!) I won't claim to know exactly
what is going on, and I can certainly see how a visual inspection
is useful in places that can't afford expensive test equipment,
but for those locations that DO have test equipment, why the
visual? If you have the ability to test the actual emissions,
a visual inspection is meaningless! The paranoid in me says that
since this defies logic and common sense, there must be another
devious reason for it; a reason that certainly does not have
anything to do with emissions... Job security for useless govt.
employees? More food for the EPA's power trip? ??? I just
don't know. :-(

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'