Re: MSD 6470 Update

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 15:36:02 EDT

> In a message dated 4/17/00 2:38:28 PM, grndak4x4@home.com writes:
>
> << I sent in my MSD 6470 ignition box(just to box, nothing more) on March
31st

> for warranty repairs and got a brand new 6470 in the mail today. >>
>
> Kyle, you pleased with the MSD performance? I was considering this mod,
> wondered what if any gains it might offer?

Without a doubt, Dave, I love the MSD unit. After I took the box out and
sent it in for repairs(replacement really) I noticed my gas mileage went a
down a bit, about 20 miles or so less per tank. I did not repag my spark
plugs initially, but had to take them out and gap them back down to
.040(stock is .035) from the .050 I have them set at with the MSD unit. Like
I have been saying, when you install the MSD box, just make sure you use the
MSD #8873 Universal Wiring Harness, which allows you to plug back in the
stock ignition in about 5 seconds. If I did not have this wiring harness
installed, I would have been screwed when the MSD unit died. Luckily, I just
plugged back in my stock ignition system and the Dak fired right up. I
notice when running the MSD my Dak also idles alot smoother and accelerates
alot better. Highway gas mileage is awesome with the MSD ignition, I can get
about 40-50 miles more per tank compared with running the stock ignition.
Also, I would highly suggest Accel's #140021 Super Coil(about $45), which
utilizes the same mounting holes and bolts as the stock coil does; it has
worked flawless for 3 years now. When/If you upgrade your ignition, at the
same time put in a good Borg Warner Select Brass Cap and a Borg Warner
Select Rotor, both will cost about $11. I used to run Champion Truck Plugs
with this ignition system, and after swapping over to Autolite Coppers, the
truck runs and performs even better. These plugs are very inexpensive and
are the best I have used so far with this aftermarket ignition system. Then
you should look at getting MSD's 8.5MM Super Conductor Wires($65) and just
using the #32189 kit, which is meant for a 94-97 Dodge Ram with the V8. I
just have 2 spares to carry in my tool box this way. Let me know if you have
any more questions. Good Luck. I am now waiting on the arrival of a QuickD
Throttle Body.....one more week! :)
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6