RE: Powertrax on 2wd??? (Chris A)

From: Neal Arita (neal@heide-cook.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 13:50:31 EDT

I am a fellow 2wd-er here with a new Powertrax No-Slip...

Last week I got the No-Slip installed. Haven't been off-road with it
yet.
I got the No-Slip because I got stuck pulling my son's Boy Scout Trailer
in some mud. Vowed not to get stuck again.
So far I've been driving "light-footed" until I get the feel of this
thing. There are some quirks that you'll need to know about:
1. there is some clunking and clanking - but not as bad as I
thought, I'm getting used to it already
2. in a wide turn (right or left) if you accelerate, the unit locks
and it feels as though the rear is pushing the front in the opposite
direction (understeer) - if you let off quickly, you experience a
quick, mild, oversteer
3. Normally, I drive very conservatively. Last night the road was
wet, so I tried - from a stop, right turn, mild acceleration. I was
expecting the inner tire to spin, or to spin both tires. But to my
surprise, hardly any spin, and I was off...I didn't push hard enough to
break both tires loose though. I suppose like any posi or locker, if
you break both tires loose, it's fish-tailing time
The No-Slip manual has a few "considerations" listed: steering, tire
chirp (in a turn), clunk, side-slip, driveline wind-up.
(if you'd like me to fax you a few pages from the manual, e-mail me
privately at neal@heide-cook.com <mailto:neal@heide-cook.com> )
I am satisfied with the unit. I believe that it will help off road,
providing you have the right tires: slicks won't help in the mud
(hehe).
Go for it!

Neal Arita - from Hawaii
'97 CC, 5.2L, Auto, No-Slip