RE: Re: DML Yee-haw!!!!!!!

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 00:04:47 EDT

I moved it for ya Jon. ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net]On Behalf Of Jon Steiger
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 8:51 PM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: DML: Re: DML Yee-haw!!!!!!!

At 05:38 PM 4/19/00 -0500, you wrote:

>I've met some 40 year olds with "Masters Degrees" that were complete
>boneheads and those "Fresh out of College" kids that think they know
>everything just because they have a piece of paper are even worse.
>
>A piece of paper doesn't amount to a whole lot these days...field
>experience will beat them out every time. I've seen that happen too many
>times in the high-tech/communications careers.

    Agreed. Also, I don't think being 24 with a masters is really anything
to brag about either... ?? I could have gotten my masters in Computer
Science at 23, but there wasn't any point. All they wanted to do was
theorize and push pencils; I wanted to DO something, so I jumped out into
the field as soon as possible. Heck, my kid brother is one or two credits
away from his masters in education and he's only 22. I've seen some
brilliant people who didn't even finish high school, and people with PhD's
coming out of their ears that were absolute imbeciles. To tell you the
truth, I don't even know where my high school or BS diplomas are. A guy my
Dad went through college with laminated his college diploma and used it as
the lining for the bottom of a birdcage! =) Yepper, I'll value a diploma
from the school of hard knocks over one from a university any day. :-)

    Ya know, a couple of relevant sayings come to mind here... "If you
don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", and perhaps
more relevant, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let the world
think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." We're all here
to help and be helped; antagonism doesn't help anyone... Actually, I think
I'm going to take my own advice and let this thread die; unless of course
it moves over to the offtopic list. :-)

                                               -Jon-

   .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'