Re: MAP Sensor Testing/Probing

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 08:59:47 EDT

Bob King wrote:

> Shane: As far as the voltages output from the MAP sensor...where do you
> connect multimeter leads to get these readings? I'd appreciate your help!
> Thanks!

I just answered that like hours ago - Probably caught it accidently in a block
delete huh? I wear out my delete button too. Here it is again:

fawcett@uism.bu.edu wrote:

> Hey! I got my fluke and I'm ready to test the hell out of everything...
> Bzzzzzzz PHWAP! Oops, that's the hot one! ;-)
>
> Anyway, were can I get some male/female connector pins to rig up some
> jumper/test wires for the MAP, TPS, etc.? I checked out Rat Shack and a local

> autoblown with no success. Any suggestions? I thought rigging up the jumpers

> would be the easy part. Go figure.

I used very very thin stainless wire that can be found at hobby/craft shops or
maybe flower shops (dont ask). I simply pulled the factory connector - inserted

the small wires leaving an inch or two hanging out - and put the connector back
on
(was tighter). I had to try several different gauge wire before I found one
small
enough. This was the only way I could see to read the values with engine
running
- measuring what the computer was seeing under all conditions. I tried to back
probe the connectors with hat pins but they kept coming out due to vibration
from
engine running. When I get back home (currently on a project in Memphis) I'll
try
and get the #s for ya. They worked great as places to clip my alligator clip
equipped voltmeter probes to.

Be sure to post what you find and be aware there are 3 wires: 1 w/around 5V
supplied by the PCM, 1 signal ground, and 1 is the actual MAP signal (it will
change with throttle while running)

Good Luck,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"