Re: custom EFI

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 09:37:19 EDT

Jon Steiger wrote:

> <snip>>Look at FP Performance's SEFI8LO (I think it might be called something
> else
> >now). Thats a pretty trick EFI setup. Ask a pro what he wants for x-mas.
>
> Yep, I plan to switch over to aftermarket EFI one of these days. The
> SEFI8LO is currently on the top of the list (well, the only one on the
> list, actually) but I'm waiting to see some details about Accel's Gen 7.0
> DFI, which is supposed to be released very very soon. From what I've read
> so far, it will do the same stuff as the SEFI8LO (including wide band O2
> sensor and WOT closed loop) but will cost about half as much
> ($1800). Sounds too good to be true.

Hmmm - interesting. I didn't know that. I've always liked Accel's DFI - if you
find an online review be sure to forward it to the list (or me directly if you
prefer). Those high prices were lots of my motivation behind the DIY stuff. I've
got about $400-$500 in the project so far (mostly electronics). Not too bad to be
about half way there. R&D costs are ususally over 100 times that amount. I guess
you could say we are spreading those costs out among the members of the EFI332
list. The stuff I've learned over the years you really can't put a price on tho.
Call it a free online EFI University 8-)

> With Accel's greater market share
> and what with economies of scale and such, it just might happen
> though. I'm just sitting back and waiting for the magazine reviews, or any
> info on the Accel web site. (GM High Tech Performance said they'd print a
> review as soon as its released.)

Your probably right - afterall - how long can those high prices remain high? Maybe
when we get ours refined - one of the guys on EFI332 will start selling them for
less than a thousand. Maybe even less than $500 if mass produced. By that time -
someone will probably have a $199 version (basic - upgradeable) - seems to always
happen that way.

> Yeah, that DIY EFI list is something else! I subscribe to it, but
> haven't had a lot of time to read it lately (I hope it will be able to go
> back to realtime mode soon, the digest is a bit of a pain to read.) :-(
> If anyone ever gets to thinking that they're pretty hot stuff with
> electronics and/or automobiles, hanging out there for a few days can be
> really humbling! :-)

I hear ya - took me about a year and a half of reading off and on before it all
finally clicked. Just try to avoid getting pissed at all the attitude you'll find
in lots of the replies to newbie questions. Those guys have big egos. I rarely
ever post - maybe a few times a year.

> I want to try building my own EFI system some day,
> maybe something I can use on my Suzuki Intruder 1400 or my 447cc
> ultralight, but I'm gonna start on safe, cheap stuff like lawnmower engines
> and go-karts. (I think it'd be pretty cool to have an EFI go-kart, or an
> EFI weed-whacker, just for the heck of it) :-)

Thats a good idea. Getting a good test lab and mastering the concepts via
experimentation will get ya pretty far. I started a lab - pc in my garage w/lots
of electronic stuff - all gathering dust for about 2 years unfortunately. Getting
the time to play on that stuff is hard - maybe if I give up the DML?? - just
kidding 8-).

> I wish I had some background in EE. I've got CS coming out the wazoo,
> but it seems like the EE guys have all the fun. :-) I just got into
> electronics and microcontrollers recently, so I'm trying to learn this
> stuff on my own. :-(

I started out in EE changing to COEN at my last few semesters. Worked out pretty
good. At work - I do mostly software stuff. The background in EE is a huge
benefit tho. I like interfaces - human to machine that is. Maybe thats why I like
SEFI8LO so much. Good hardware without some cool software to control it is just a
chunk of silicon w/electrons screamin around huh? 8-)

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"