Re: Re: radar detectors

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 15:39:45 EDT

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Kyle Kozubal wrote:

> What about "instant on-off"????? This is when an officer is 'clocking'
> vehicles and instead of having the radar gun on all the time, the officer
> just flips it on and off(and locks in the calculated speed) as the vehicles
> are approaching; this gives the radar detector of ANY type literally no
> chance to alert the driver of the speeding vehicle, rendering the radar
> detecter useless. My brother is a cop and I have gone on many ride alongs
> with him and he uses this all the time to nab people with detectors.

   True, if you're the one being shot with instant-on, you don't have a
chance, detector or not. But if you're in a line of cars, and a car ahead
of you gets hit, you'll detect it and you have a chance to slow down.

> There
> is also a new radar gun currently being used in Indiana which NO, I repeat
> NO radar detector currently on the market can detect. This new type relies
> on time travel. It sends a signal and maps where it first makes contact with
> the traveling/speeding vehicle and then pin-points from that location to
> another given location, like the squad car, and determines in a split second
> how fast the car is actually traveling. It works and works damn good, far
> better than any laser gun in law enforcement. Just dont speed, it is not
> worth it.

    I'm not sure what you mean on this one... If it is a gun that sends a
signal, it can be detected. I have a feeling you may be talking about
VASCAR though, in which case no gun is used, you're timed between two points
of a known distance and your speed is calculated based on the amount of time
it takes you to travel between them. All you need to do this is a pair of
eyes and a stopwatch. Oftentimes, it is done from an airplane, and the
descriptions of the perps are radioed to squad cars on the ground
who chase the car down. If you see lines painted on the road and
a plane in the air, be careful. :-) Actually it doesn't even need to
be a plane, it could be an officer standing on the top of a hill. There's
no way to combat VASCAR except to slow down...

  Is that what you meant, or is it something different?

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'