Re: Re: Basic Electrical Formulas and TPS Resistance

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 20:38:02 EDT

Kyle,
On a '98 it's very straightforward... With the key off, engine off, pull the
three wire "quick disconnect" connector off the TPS. The three
wires/connections are ground, signal out and 5V power. On mine the ground is
black (obvious), the signal out prong was in the middle and the power supply
was on the opposite side of ground. Set the DMM to Ohms and clip the leads to
the ground and signal out prongs on the TPS. While watching the meter, slowly
open the throttle (I did this both ways, I.E. by fiddling with the linkage at
the throttle body and by using the accelerator pedal inside the cab with
identical results)... If the resistance gradually and smoothly increases as
you slowly open the throttle, the TPS is fine --if it fluctuates as you open
the throttle, it's got problems.

Most specs. are given in terms of voltages and I get mine from my FSM. I would
have tested the TPS for voltage drops but I need to find the right connectors
to make jumper wires... Because the TPS is simply a variable resistor though,
I think the test I did is sufficient for this particular sensor.
Tom