Re: i cracked my head NOW: 97 v6 cam availability

From: Ptturbo@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 01:32:50 EDT

> << Someone mentioned that a cam was no good for the 3.9 because of the
comp,
> said it wouldnt adjust, is this true?

How much more radical than stock is the cam?
MAP systems are much more sensative to cams than mass-air systems.
If it drops the vacuum, ya could be in trouble. This will cause the PCM to
see a higher MAP sensor voltage ( as in "engine under load") and it
will feed more fuel.. This can make for a really over rich idle condition,
as well as send the block learn into the dumper. A rheostat could
probably be used to get it back down, but then WOT might go lean
 without a 5v feed to the map line for a patch. It would take some
playing, but it's doable. If we could just get at the calibration
data in the PCM, it could be done in code, which is the preferred
approach... Especially when you solder like sh*t.. 8-P
I have overcome this in a GM app, because I was able to
dump the chip and edit the tables. Can't wait till snap-on or
somebody sells a tool to flash the ecms.. The world would be
a better place for motor heads for sure..
Mike V