Re: DML Radar Detection and Speeding (long)

From: Michael Hines (michael_hines@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 21:11:06 EDT

Hello DML'ers,

The thread on radar and detection has gotten my interest. In terms of common
sense, if you speed, quite simply, you run a statistically greater chance of
getting a speeding ticket than one who does not speed - simple as that. Now,
the question becomes, "How do I drive at a speed that I feel competent
enough to operate my vehicle while minimizing my chances of getting an
invitation to the policeman's ball?"

As we all know, having a tool does not automatically mean you are an expert
in using it. Having a radar detector (RD) in and of itself does not mean you
are impervious to getting a ticket. If you speed regularly and want to avoid
getting caught, you need to be intelligent enough to use your RD and your
senses to get the most of both.

An RD works best with a trained pair of eyes and a little bit of common
sense. Trained eyes look far off into the distance to look for patrol cars
on the roadside or cars with lightbars or stripes in the median or on the
shoulder (many police cars today are striped better and louder than any
George Barris Kandy-Kolored Kustom Baby ever was). Running radar does not
mean the patrol car must be stationary. Trained eyes also often check the
rear view mirror for the same cars as above or for cars approaching at a
high rate of speed. Better to slow down and see who it is than take a chance
on a ticket! The RD serves to extend the eyes of the driver and sense out
invisible threats at a distance that will allow you time to check your
speed. Unmarked cars are often, though not always, Ford Crown Vics,
Chevrolet Caprices, or Chevy Luminas (and the new Impala is beginning to
show up here and there as well). Know 'em and keep an eye out for 'em. Look
for lots of antennas, basic wheel and tire sets, official license plates,
and/or spotlights on the A-pillars.

One note: Laser (or LIDAR as it is known in the biz) is very difficult to
detect and as a result, is known as being very effective against speeders.
Your best defense against LIDAR is the use of the cars in front of you, i.e.
use their speed and their use of brakes to alert you to the potential of
LIDAR activity up ahead.

Other things to look for:

-Clusters of cars moving at or slightly slower than the posted limit might
indicate the presence of a patrol car moving at or below the posted limit
daring anyone to pass him.

-Brake lights of the cars in front of you may indicate a sighting of a
stationary or moving patrol car.

-By the way, an open road can be a dangerous road. You should use the cars
in front of you as your "advance decoys", if possible. If you have no cars
in front of you, you place yourself in a position to get nailed with
"instant on" radar or LIDAR.

Remember, radar detectors are not illegal for use in automobiles except in
VA. You have the right to use them everywhere else (unless any states have
recently outlawed them that I may be unaware of). Most cop friends of mine
do not get too excited about the use of RDs, and fully enjoy the challenge
of catching and pulling over someone who uses an RD. Some also, quite
arrogantly, like to make note of the fact that "If you speed, I can get you
regardless of whether you use an RD or not." I think the best revenge is
driving by a radar trap at the posted limit because you were alerted to the
presence of radar by all the means I listed above...then resuming your
original above-the-posted-limit speed.

In the state where I live, I NEVER see state police cars driving the posted
limit -EVER. I guess being an officer of the peace in my state gives one the
ability to regularly exceed posted limits. (And, before unleashing the
flamethrowers, I am fully aware of the need to exceed posted limits during
emergencies...these are NOT at these times...I mean, doing 85 mph to get the
donut shop before closing time does NOT constitute an emergency! OK, OK,
exaggerating just a little here...no need to make our fellow DML officers of
the peace mad!)

Bear in mind that the cost of a V-1 at $400 could easily be the cost of one
year's increase in your insurance premium if you are nailed for doing more
than 20 MPH over the limit. I have easily paid many times over for the cost
of my RDs in terms of saved insurance premiums. Remember, too, that many
insurance companies regularly support speed enforcement programs, including
donations of radar and LIDAR equipment to local and state police
organizations. Can you say "collusion" or "vested interest"? The increase in
speeders' premiums paid to insurance companies far exceeds the insurance
industy's investment in speed detection equipment programs.

Score: insurance companies- 2, police and municipalities- 1, you- 0.

If you speed regularly, being more aware of your driving position and of
those around you will be its own reward. You will be a safer, more aware
driver and more competent to drive at a higher-than-posted speed.

"Speed kills" is a true statement at some point, either directly or
indirectly, but when "speed enforcement" is a euphemism for "state or
municipal revenue enhancement", well, that's where the citizenry needs to
arm itself with some type of defense. An intelligent free society will
provide its citizens a method to determine when they are being subjected to
remote surveillance and monitoring by its own government.

DML content...hmmm...I think all our Daks/Rangos are easily capable of
attaining illegal speeds.

OK, I'll get off my pedestal now...thank for providing the forum for the
open and free exchange of ideas and information.

Mike Hines
2000 Durango SLT+ (w/ wobbly new wheels and tires)
1999 Camaro SS M6 (goes about 2.5x the posted limit, but no need for that
kind of speed!)