Re: DRBIII

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 23:39:44 EDT

Ptturbo@aol.com wrote:

> Yep, but it is my understanding that the DRB can
> flash, but not "dump" the EEPROM. Besides, they
> are pretty pricey... I believe the info can be had with the
> right adapters and a decent eprom reader..
> Anyone wanna volunteer r\their PCM as a possible sacrifice? 8-)

I don't have the specs on the DRB but from my understanding it is just an advanced
scan tool with the added ability to both read and write to the Chrysler PCM's
EEPROM via the SCI input interface. The actual physical interface is basically a
standard SAE-JExxxx (xxxx = 1962 i think). Its a connector thats hanging under
your dash around the steering column area. Same place my PC-based scan tool plugs
in. Required by OBDII specs for all cars produced since '96. The software
(human) interface I haven't a clue about. Guessing - it has the ability to
read/write a "file" into the EEPROM - the file comes from where? Maybe another
(RS232 probably) interface going to a PC running what program? I saw one in
action that was hooked up to a big black legacy pc (386/486 class) that a service
mgr said costs around $60,000 - cant remember the name of it. It was a total
custom full roller cabinet setup with MANY different cable/interfaces coming out
of it (like an octopus). He said the PC program (on that big black costly beast)
did all the work just using the DRBIII as a vehicle or tool. It looks as if the
technician just drove a pretty "idiot-proof" menu and it is all controlled via
on-demand dial-up modem sessions with Chrysler HQ. In other words - so damned
controlled that to do this yourself would require lots of hands-on work in some
extremely friendly dealerships garage (using his borrowed equipment) to play with
while reverse-engineering the actual "protocol" used to drive the DRBIII. Whew!
Then once you have mastered it - now you have the ability to do it without that
expensive black beast that speaks to the eye in the sky! Basically I'd say that
you are still pretty far away from "burning proms"...

Clear as mud yet? 8-)) Thats how I see it. Anyone agree? Experiences?

Latr,

Shane

ps - I'm speculating on alot of this - its not like I want a lawsuit or anything.
Anyone want to start a new lucrative business?? 8-))

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"