Re: Bad night at the track

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 07:58:34 EDT

Hi, Jon.

I ran last Sunday with the MPI into similar wind conditions (worst
that I've experienced) and had similar results ... two runs of
15.3s with slowest at 15.6 and trap speeds of 85-86 mph. An IndyRam,
who set a pb (14.49) at the same track the weekend before, was
running 14.9s and about the same trap speeds as I was (normally
90+).

Some encouraging analysis though:

The 60' and 330' times were not that far off my 5 best from last
year (1/100ths of sec). The 1/8 and 1/4 times took a big time drubbing
so that head wind was a big factor.

On my two 15.3 runs, the 2-3 shift stuck in 2nd and I had to let off
twice before getting the shift (normally when this happens, it costs
me 2/10s).

Also found out the TPS put out 3.63 volts at WOT when it should be
putting out 4.5-4.8 volts.

Jon Steiger's '96 5-spd cut 3/10s with the MPI. Bill Tierney gets
amazing results with his MPI and cam combo. (14.4s) by manually shifting
at 5800 or so.

It sounds like it'll take quite a bit of experimenting to find out
where the optimum is for each truck (examining dyno results will help
with pointing in the right direction a lot quicker).

Will be heading off to the track Sunday with a new TPS (no mention of
head wind conditions ... a good sign) and will dyno next week (probably Wed.).

Bob