Re: snorkling (attn Dave Kilian)

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 14:46:21 EDT

Killerdak@aol.com wrote:

> Air intake problem on Gen II? Is this something I'm not aware of?

Just my personal opinion more than anything, I suppose. I took one look
at the air duct that runs from the intake can out to the grille and
thought "straw." More specifically, the thing looks like it'd just suck
water right into the engine when dropping down into a stream or other
water hazard. Also, as I have since learned, there was supposed to be a
metal splash guard over the front of the opening. I guess the previous
owner threw it out.

I remember finding some stories somewhere on the 'net about the intake
design causing some people to drown their engines just by driving too
fast through puddles on the road. I don't remember where that was, and
it's been quite a while. If I come across it again, I'll post more
info.

> The Trailmaster kit came with longer diff breather tubes, is there something else
> I need to upgrade?

I know there's a vent tube for the transfer case (we saw a rubber hose
yesterday that has "Transfer case vent 5/16" printed on the side). I
believe there's also one for the transmission, but haven't been able to
find it yet.

> Not that I want to submerge TOO deep, just make the occasional trail river
> crossing, I do have cloth seats and carpet still!

:-) I hear that. I was thinking of making some type of snorkel out of
PVC pipe, but then realized I probably don't really want to drive
through water that deep in the first place.

Jason