Re: Re: snorkling (attn Dave Kilian)

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 16:55:27 EDT

> Just my personal opinion more than anything, I suppose. I took one look
> at the air duct that runs from the intake can out to the grille and
> thought "straw." More specifically, the thing looks like it'd just suck
> water right into the engine when dropping down into a stream or other
> water hazard. Also, as I have since learned, there was supposed to be a
> metal splash guard over the front of the opening. I guess the previous
> owner threw it out.
>
> I remember finding some stories somewhere on the 'net about the intake
> design causing some people to drown their engines just by driving too
> fast through puddles on the road. I don't remember where that was, and
> it's been quite a while. If I come across it again, I'll post more
> info.
> I know there's a vent tube for the transfer case (we saw a rubber hose
> yesterday that has "Transfer case vent 5/16" printed on the side). I
> believe there's also one for the transmission, but haven't been able to
> find it yet.
>
> > Not that I want to submerge TOO deep, just make the occasional trail
river
> > crossing, I do have cloth seats and carpet still!
>
> :-) I hear that. I was thinking of making some type of snorkel out of
> PVC pipe, but then realized I probably don't really want to drive
> through water that deep in the first place.

The stock air inlet is pretty darn high; on your lifted Dak Dave I would not
worry about it. I mean if you are driving in a creek deep enough for water
to get in the stock cold air duct, you better worry about alot more things
than water sucking into the engine, as that wasnt bad enough. I have been
through some pretty deep water, something I would never do again, but it was
deep! At stock height I think right around 19" is where water will enter the
lower door jams, and yes I had this happen briefly. Dave, you are running a
4" suspension lift, 2"(I think) body lift, and going from 235s which are 29"
tall to 33's which are about 32.8" tall, you really have lifted your Dak
about 8" over stock. Once again, unless you are crossing a river which is
5ft deep(hello Hummer) I wouldnt worry. If you want just disconnet the cold
air at the round filter which is going to the grill, then this will give you
water depths all the way upto the TB, once again, I doubt you will be going
this deep. Just my thoughts......
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6
Kyle