Re: snorkling (attn Dave Kilian)

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 22:55:49 EDT

Kyle Kozubal wrote:

> The stock air inlet is pretty darn high; on your lifted Dak Dave I would not
> worry about it.

Good point, I almost forgot that Dave's is lifted.

> I mean if you are driving in a creek deep enough for water
> to get in the stock cold air duct, you better worry about alot more things
> than water sucking into the engine, as that wasnt bad enough. I have been
> through some pretty deep water, something I would never do again, but it was
> deep! At stock height I think right around 19" is where water will enter the
> lower door jams, and yes I had this happen briefly.

What worried me was when dropping down off of a bank, for example. The
nose will be pointed down (directly at the surface of the water). Plus,
moving a truck through water tends to make a bow wave, and the water
will pile up in front of the truck.

In any case, I just feel better knowing that there isn't one single
small opening where all the air goes. Even if my filter does get
splashed now, it has enough area that it'll still be able to breathe.
With the duct, the area is a lot smaller, and if the opening gets
splashed it could bring the water up to the engine.

Anyway, I might be worried more about this than it really deserves. I
personally feel better without the straw up front.

Jason