Re: RE: Re: MSD & Noise - Please Help (Kyle)....

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 12:39:02 EDT

> Kyle,
>
> I contacted MSD this morning. They recommended a couple of things.
> 1. Installing the noise capacitor. (MSD PN#8830) It runs for $39.95 at
a local dealer.
> 2. Running the negative wire directly to the battery, as the ground in
the body is not
> sufficient.
> 3. Adding dielectric grease to all spark points. (in boot sleeves)
> 4. Making sure the battery has a good ground to the body and the engine.
> 5. (When I asked...) Adding RCA noise filters to my amplifier inputs for
my stereo system.
> Although #5 is was not "endorsed" by MSD, they said it probably wouldn't
hurt.

> I already ordered the capacitor. I will also "re-wire" the spliced points
to make use of the wiring
> kit to return to stock as you did. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you
posted within the next week or so,
> when everything is complete.

Good, the Noise Capacitor did help me out alot. I used ring terminals on the
pos/neg wire coming from the MSD box and used ring terminals on the pos/neg
wires going to the battery, so a total of 4 ring terminals, soldered of
course. This way, I can take things apart alot easier if I ever have to work
on something. The Noise Capacitor has 2 bolts ontop of it to secure the
wires to. MSD says to take off some wire insulation and just 'wrap' the
wire around the bolts and then tighten it down. To me, this just didnt not
seem too good of an idea, so I used the ring terminals. Yes I did run the
neg wire directly to the battery as well. The battery itself does have a
ground wire running to the body, but just for good measures I ran a second
battery ground wire to an area on the frame which I sanded down with my
Dremel so get a good solid ground point. I always use Dielectric tune up
grease on my dist cap terminals and on the spark plugs, lots it
actually;Just another measure to ensure good contacts and to keep moisture
out. I recently added a noise filter from Radio Shack to my CB and it was a
good $5 investment. Good Luck, let us know how things turn out!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6