Catalytic Converter Types

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 18:22:23 EDT

What is the difference between 2/3 way catalytic converters? What does the
2/3 mean? Why do some converters come with an 'air tube' and some do not?
Would I need one with or with an air tube? I am thinking about getting a
high flow cat when I get my Flowmaster muffler put on, and think I would
like to go with a Dynomax Super Converter. Since I have a 3" pipe before the
cat, I would like to get a 3" inlet/3" outlet high flow converter then use a
3"-2 1/2" reducer adapter which would go to a 2.5" Flowmaster 3chamber
muffler which would then mount up perfectly with my 2.5" exit pipe. Right
now I have a 2.75" cat(no clue why the muffler shop didnt use a 3" cat!)
with a whole bunch of nasty connectors and reducers which a local muffler
shop put on when I had the stock converter replaced at 70,000 miles. They
are not getting anymore of my business!!
Any thoughts? Anyone have any other high flow cat suggestions, like what
brand or where to get them? I have found a 3" Dynomax cat for $100, but not
sure if I need a 2/3 way model. THANKS!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6