Re: Catalytic Converter Types

From: Sam Parthemer (rtdkota@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 18:39:32 EDT

It depends on your model year. Your V6 'might' need the
air tube to run back to the passengerside exhaust manifold
to dump into. You must use the same style as OEM to meet
smog requirements.

Now, about the 3" part. You might not want to GO BIG,
especially with a low restriction muffler (low back
pressure).

I did this with a V8, headers, 3" pipe to the CAT, 3" Hi
Flow Cat (www.carsound.com), and 3" into an Ultra Flo
muffler... It sounded intense, but was a real dog below
3000 rpm, and got terrible gas mileage.

I replaced the muffler with somewhat more restrictive (and
quieter) Super Turbo muffler. That made a big difference.
if I did it all over again, I'd leave the CAT stock
inlet/outlet (though hi flow), and then go 3" (2.5" on the
V6) to get the most HP/Torque.

My RT now has Mopar Tri-Y headers, 3" collector, to a 3"
inlet on the stock CAT, 3" out on the stock CAT, to a 3"
inlet on a Flowmaster 40 series, then outlet of 3" to
2-2.5" pipes over the axle to a rear exit throught the
rollpan. Very loud, but no driveability problems, and no
loss of power. Power gains have not yet be checked at the
track or Dyno.

Sam '00 RT

--- Kyle Kozubal <grndak4x4@home.com> wrote:
> What is the difference between 2/3 way catalytic
> converters? What does the
> 2/3 mean? Why do some converters come with an 'air tube'
> and some do not?
> Would I need one with or with an air tube? I am thinking
> about getting a
> high flow cat when I get my Flowmaster muffler put on,
> and think I would
> like to go with a Dynomax Super Converter. Since I have a
> 3" pipe before the
> cat, I would like to get a 3" inlet/3" outlet high flow
> converter then use a
> 3"-2 1/2" reducer adapter which would go to a 2.5"
> Flowmaster 3chamber
> muffler which would then mount up perfectly with my 2.5"
> exit pipe. Right
> now I have a 2.75" cat(no clue why the muffler shop didnt
> use a 3" cat!)
> with a whole bunch of nasty connectors and reducers which
> a local muffler
> shop put on when I had the stock converter replaced at
> 70,000 miles. They
> are not getting anymore of my business!!
> Any thoughts? Anyone have any other high flow cat
> suggestions, like what
> brand or where to get them? I have found a 3" Dynomax cat
> for $100, but not
> sure if I need a 2/3 way model. THANKS!
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

=====
Sam '00 RT
(14.667@93 mph)

Get Paid to surf the Net!
http://www.alladvantage.com/ref_center.asp?refid=GTS444
Pay Anyone with a Credit Card. Checkout Paypals!
https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=srp%40home.com