Re: TPS voltage @ WOT

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 22:10:07 EDT

fawcett@uism.bu.edu wrote:

> It's right out of my '98 Dodge/Chrysler Factory Service Manual... It says you
> should measure approximately .25v at idle and 4.8v at WOT from the signal wire
> (back to the PCM). I think you are absolutely right that over 3.4v (maybe 3.5v)
> is the magic number for WOT... I measured .6v at idle and 3.8v at WOT.
>
> Do you have any notion as to why it doesn't return a higher voltage at WOT (it's
> getting 5.1v to the sensor on mine) and if this has any performance
> implications?

Hmmm - interesting. My 1996 Ram FSM don't go into that kinda detail on
troubleshooting sensors. Then again - maybe I haven't found it yet - that thing is
so big 8-). Sorry - I don't know why its not getting higher voltage at WOT. I
don't think it has any perf. implications as long as you are reaching what the
computer thinks is WOT. I would bet that the TPS as mounted in the TB has a limited
travel distance thus keeping it from reaching any more than it is currently. You
could test this theory by playing with it while not mounted on the TB (removed but
still plugged into the harness). Again - I don't think it would benefit anything.
I'll try to verify the exact voltage that engages WOT.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"