Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SciTeck-twin turbos (Jason)

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 16:56:24 EDT

Well, the drag strip comments was made for a rather complicated set of
assumptions that I should have elaborated on.

The turbos can far exceed your engines ability to take the cylinder
pressure. However, the stock engine maybe able to stand this much power
for short blasts down the drag strip. If you had a setup with adjustable
boost then you could lower it for street duty and survivability, but then
turn it up for drag duty. When you did you'd probably want to run racing
gas (unleaded if you still have cat(s)).

I've seen the 2.2L fours take ungodly amounts of boost (I witnessed 24lbs
on several occassions) on the drag strip with proper precautions (extra
fuel, timing adjustments, forged pistons with lower compression).

It's always been my opinion that a heavy vehicle used in all around
performance street driving is much better off with a SC.

By the way, you should get superior mileage with a Turbo setup since the
boost is generated by exhaust and not the crank. Another reason, turbos
were so popular on small fuel efficient 4 bangers.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the twin turbo setup for the street,
as long as you understand that the big boost numbers that are advertised
are simply not smart with a stock street driven 3.9L. As such my view is
that its overkill for most people considering it. The SC setups will work
for most everybody on the street. And the truth is, Nitrous is a cheap
option in MODERATION for those wanting to experience just a limited amount
of playtime.

And of course, if the twin turbo setup is price competitive with the SC,
who cares if it's overkill and you can only use a small portion of the
boost possible? But usually a custom twin turbo setup is much more
expensive. Doesn't hurt to express interest and let them price it out!

Steve Ekstrand, Pasadena, CA Driver: '00 Dakota CC SLT+ 4.7L 3.92SG 255's
and Shelby Lancer #485 ---The Boost Monster! With a blown trans... :-(
Stacey's Driver: '00 Inferno Red Intrepid ES-3.2L-24V Autostick w/Leather
Race Car: 69 1/2 Road Runner 440-6 (ex-NHRA SS/GA future B or C/SA???)
Project Car: 69 Barracuda Notchback (Orig. 318, now 360w/Edelbrock Heads)
Homepage: http://sites.netscape.net/professormopar/homepage