Re: Last time! Stereo stuff & help

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 20:39:57 EDT

> I have the premier sound system. First, are you talking about the Premier
> brand of head units made by Pioneer or are you talking about the factory
> Infinity system?

I'm still using the stock headunit. The stock head units do not have a preamp
level output that is best used with external amps and the internal amps are
noisy. You should be using a speaker to line level converter to match the head
unit to the amp inputs. I realize some amps allow direct connection of speaker
level inputs but that is not the best way to connect the unit.

> 1) Should teh co that installed the amps for the speakers & sub, unhooked
> the stock amp? If so, how should I unplug them. The co t'd out of the wiring
> harnesses.

Yes the you should not have the factory amp in the circuit. Doing so is asking
for extra noise and it is a total waste of energy anyway. You should connect to
the head unit directly if that is possable.

> 2) On the 4channel amp for the speakers, there's a lot of hissing sound.
> What is wrong. I'm running two amps. One for the doors, and one for the
> subs. Nothing wrong with this combination it is what I use.

Probably the gain is turned up too high on the amps. If the amps have input
level controlls try reducing the input gain setting and run the head unit volume
higher. This should give you a better signal to noise ratio.

> P.S. It's a 2000 dodge dakota

I would suggest that if you can afford it replace the stock head unit with a
good aftermarket one with line level (rca jacks) output run to your amps. There
are many good units that have a built in subwoofer crossover and some custom fit
the dash nicely without adaptors. (Pioneer, Jensen to name a few that I have
seen). I have the top of line Pioneer with 2 Power acoustic amps and have NO
noise at all. Hope this helps you some.
Jim in Waco
99 R/T RC FR