Re: Wire Help

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 00:39:35 EDT

At 05:35 PM 4/29/2000 , you wrote:
>I was installing a new cd player w/ alarm in my dak today and have a
>question regarding the wiring for it. The alarm portion of the install did
>not go well because there was no "door pin" to tap into. The reason I need
>to do this is because I have to have a way to activate the wiring. If I
>could find the wiring that goes to the dome light I could use that wire
>also.
>
>So, can anyone let me know where a wire is that becomes "hot" when a door is
>opened? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Robert Meredith
>2000 Dakota SLT 4x4 Club Cab

On the drivers side, pull off the plastic edge that goes along the edge of
the carpet where the bottom of the door is. Next, pull the plastic kick
panel off. Up between the emergency brake pedal and the body of the truck
there a hole in the sheet metal. Reach in there and you should see two
wires in a harness setup. These go to and from the driver door pin switch.

In reference to my '99 Dak, you want the big red/blue wire. To verify that
you have the correct wire, get a DC volt meter. Connect the (+) probe of
the meter to 12V constant. Connect the (-) probe of the meter to the
suspected wire. Open the door. If you see 12V on the meter, your good to
go. Daks use a reversed polarity circuit. The door pin switch switches
ground, not the positive. Open and close the passenger door, you should
get same readings, 12V when open, 0V when closed.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net