Parts Selection For My "Project MPG"

From: BadDakcuda@webtv.net
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 12:09:39 EDT

I decided to use the "top of the line" parts from the older, well
established, highly reputable companies where possible. I wanted to stay
away from the companies that had been sucsessfuly sued and / or fined by
the Federal Trade Commission for making false claims about their
products such as Splitfire Plugs, Slick 50 Engine Treatment, Exxon
Gasoline's Synthetic Additives ect. They may all be good products, I
just decided to not use any of them (Valvoline is the exception) in this
particular project.
1. Standard Ignition Products (dist. cap & rotor) has been in
business for 82 years !
2. Champion Spark Plugs have been around for quite a while
too ! And they've been the choice of Ma Mopar for a
while too !
    Besides all that, these Double Platinum
    plugs come with a 5 year / Unlimited Mileage warranty.
3. Valvoline, I definitely can't say anything negative
about their products.
    I've used Valvoline products almost exclusively ever since
I began changing the lubes in my vehicles 30 years ago.
    My dad started using Valvoline Lubricants in the
1930's and, got me started on it too.
    I know they too were fined by Federal Trade Commission for
their TDM 8 PTFE (Teflon) engine treatment along with
Slick 50 and others. But, I'll stand behind my opinion in spite of
that.
4. Taylor Spark Plug Wires, I don't know how long they've been
around but, they do have a very good reputation going for
themselves. Mallory Wires would have been my 2nd choice here
but, I'd have to measure, cut and install the ends on
the red Mallory's, while the Taylor's come ready to install in
red or blue. Lifetime warranty too.
5. Red Line Synthetic Oils, although not as old and well known
as Valvoline Oils I decided to try these products based on
their very good reputation and uniqueness.
6. K & N Airfilters are THE Name Brand when it comes to high
performance air filters.
7. DynoMax, the performance division of Walker Exhaust & Muffler.
Walker & DynoMax have an excellent reputation in the
exhaust industry and, they've been around quite a while too.
8. Texaco Clean Systems 3 Gasolines are the only gasolines I know of
on the market today, that make any claims of improving
gas mileage. They claim an improvement can be seen after using
just 5 tankfulls. More on this particular one later.

Larry