PB with MPI at Cayuga Dragway

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 17:04:30 EDT

Hi

After a few puzzling weeks since the Cayuga track opened this year,
I finally was able to set a personal best ET of 14.85 sec. @ 91.67 mph.
This was done manually shifting 1-2 @ 4800 rpm and 2-3 @ 5000 at WOT
(any higher shifts and the tranny would not shift).

My mod addition from last year was the MPI. First, there were the
disappointing times (15.8s) with a mismatched, custom programmed computer.
Then there were shifts problems (not wanting to shift into the next gear
at WOT) running 15.2s with the '96 MP PCM.

About a month ago, I dynoed the MPI with that custom computer and it confirmed
that low end torque loss was NIL (as a matter of fact, torque from 1200 rpm to
2500 were up substantially ... hp numbers in that range were up as well but
not
as substantially). From about 2700 - 4500, hp and torque dyno numbers were
both down with the MPI but the torque curve was pretty flat. From 4500 to
5500 rpm (I limited the dyno run to 5600 rpm), torque and hp with the MPI
were substantially higher again with a gradual drop in torque after 4600 rpm.

Last Wednesday, I dynoed the MPI with the '96 MP PCM and the curves
showed a similar pattern but with much higher numbers. It also showed near
peak torque and hp numbers from between 4500 to 5500 rpm with my setup.

Since my trap rpm was 4500 with 3.55SG and 26" tires, I had no track left
to use this strong torque and horsepower.

I swapped in 3.92 gears and, today I was going through the traps at 5000 rpm.
Now, if I could only do 5500 rpm shifts 'without a gear not wanting to shift',
I can only imagine what my ET and trap mph would be.

As they used to sing ... the BEAT goes on ...

Bob. Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 3.92 SG, auto.
Corrected max. rwhp = 227.4 Corrected max. rwtq = 335.0 lb-ft