Re: V-10 Engine Swap

From: Fermin Lizalde Jr. (roachmotel69@home.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 15:41:52 EDT

Man oh man I would love to see that (would even drive down to the base to
check it out)! The four rules of thumb for a LEGAL engine swap, in CA are
(assuming the engine is currently distributed in a production vehicle. In
other words, NO "RACE-ONLY" engines!): (1) The replacement engine has to be
equal or larger (in terms of displacement) than the stock one. (2) The
replacement engine has to be of the same year as the stock one or newer. (3)
You cannot downgrade the emmissions systems (i.e. Dodge Neon exhaust on a
Viper engine), to avoid hassles use a stock Viper exhaust or CARB-approved
aftermarket exhaust components for a Viper. (4) Lastly, you must first run
your initial emission-system warranty out. In other words, if the truck came
with an initial 5year/50,000 mile warranty on all emissions related
components you must wait either 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes
first (that part sucks). This info came direct from the California Dep't of
Consumer Affairs 1-800-952-5210. Hope that helps.

Fermin Lizalde Jr.
mailto:roachmotel69@home.com